Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Castro, SF

Yesterday, I made it over to The Castro Farmer's Market in San Francisco where I played music for almost 4 hours. I watched the dense fog flow by overhead and even felt a sprinkle on the 2nd day of Summer 2010. I had slight technical difficulties setting up with my new battery-powered amp that puts out just enough amps to make me really work for it. A nice passerby came over and started helping me set up, calling me by my first name and telling me about his day. He runs a music day camp for children and this year he received a grant to help him. I love hearing stories like this and was grateful for his help. Even though I may go somewhere without knowing anyone, someone always manages to make me feel right at home. So thank you.

The Castro folks were pretty nice as they trickled through on their way to their destinations. I even sold a CD and made a few extra bucks. I have hung out there before with an old friend who use to live down the street. I love the wide diversity in fashion. From pink boas and chaps to a vibrantly colored suit made of small rubber bands, it was an exotic visual feast for the eyes.

I played my usual set of songs and the face painter next to me played peek-a-boo with two small boys who were obviously twins. One had a fully painted tiger face and the other was all natural. The children squealed with joy as the happy-go-lucky face painter in a tecni-colored, candy-stripped suit with balloons attached to her crocks acted surprised every time she heard the little lion "roar". They played this game for a good thirty minutes. They were extremely loud but I didn't mind the entertainment. Many people couldn't keep their eyes off of their little game, it added to the fun of the market. I imagined her having her own television show because she was so good with children. She even cheered for me after almost every song "Yay Amber!!" and had the children chime in with her. It was very cold and my nose was running...I really appreciated her enthusiasm.

After a cup of hot green, Jasmin tea and a hooded jacket, I was able to last through until the end feeling myself desperately wanting a warm environment. One of the vendors shouted "closing special, five dollar ravioli"!. That sounded like music to my ears so I dipped into my tip bucket and bought dinner. Butternut squash ravioli with a bit of pesto sauce. Now that's good living! Thank you SF :)

No comments: