Friday, June 25, 2010

Dixon Farmer's Market

When I arrived at the "Women's Improvement Park" in downtown Dixon, it was after I stopped at a gas station to ask directions to the "Women's Empowerment Park". Even though I had the name totally wrong, I was close... The attendant literally had no idea what I was talking about until I said "Farmer's Market". Then he knew what I was talking about. That was good, at least people know where to get their veggies.

I decided on a bigger amp this time which carries better in an open space that lets sound fly anywhere it wants. I aimed myself at a nice little family-run crepes tent but they didn't seem to mind. They fed me a half-price veggie crepe with feta and green olives. It was probably the best crepe I've ever had in my life. The guy actually "studied" crepes in France.

Because a nearby train passed through from time to time at the park, I thought that would really bring to life Johnny Cash's "Folsom Blues" which starts with the line "I hear that train a comin', it's rolling around the bend".." It brought another sensory element to moment and it really is the little things in life that makes this girl happy :)

Last time I was there, I met a couple of nice kids who helped me out a little by carrying stuff and I gave them a couple cd's. This time, they were there with about 10 others and they all looked very bored. I took a break and walked away for a second and out of nowhere, one of them takes to the microphone and starts beat boxing! And then another kid grabs the mike from him and starts shouting out to his friends. Of course I had to shut that down because they were horrible and just before I started playing again, another kid asked if he could beat box, too. Now I have been in charge of many open mikes in my time and I know how the natives could get restless for self-expression but this wasn't one of them. Plus, I told them if their friends hadn't of already done so without asking first I may have allowed them to. Maybe next time they will become more chaos control.

Anyway, as soon as the wind died down, the weather was warm and perfect. Some people were setting up movie night on a big screen and their speakers eventually took over the park which was fine by me. Four hours is a lot of time to fill with sound.

All in all, there was face painting, a spider man jumpy for the kids and lots of good food. A great place to be!

No comments: